Marlborough Multicultural Centre (MMC) is a not for profit organisation.
The Centre offers relocated nationals and international newcomers a welcoming place where people make connections and celebrate diversity in a safe environment.
It is often the starting point for newcomers and serves as a link and referral agency, providing advocacy and navigation to relevant agencies, who often work collaboratively to support people’s settlement process.
Our service delivery reach is widespread and has four main strands:
- Client Advocacy Services.
- Community Educational Programmes.
- Cultural Events that Celebrate the Diversity in the Community.
- Marlborough Newcomers Network.
- Provide advocacy/educational role to newcomers and host community relative to successful resettlement.
- Find collaborative local solutions to improve the settlement process of new migrants.
- Deal with migrant enquiries in an appropriate manner.
- Network with and support other organisations/agencies and ethnic/migrant groups.
- Deliver presentations to organisations, agencies and ethnic/migrant groups.
- Build robust network and work collaboratively with key agencies.
- Organise events, seminars and social activities that support resettlement.
- Promote MMC and work with media outlets to enhance public awareness.
Other Key Services
- One day Intercultural Awareness and Communication (IAC) Training Seminars: Designed by the Office of Ethnic Affairs and delivered by Office of Ethnic Affairs trained personnel designed to enable participants to develop a better awareness of their cultural characteristics and those of others – so that they can communicate more effectively across cultural boundaries. The training focuses on using effective communication to build relationships that lead to effective workplace interaction.
- Interpreter Database: A database of translators inclusive of numerous languages. Whilst not all are trained interpreters all translators are required to undergo a police check and most have completed ethics training.
- Marlborough Migrant Wellbeing Working Group: MMC facilitates the Marlborough Migrant Wellbeing Working Group formed in 2009 in response to issues being raised in the community about migrant social wellbeing. The group brings together representatives from key agencies and organisations that provide services in the community to consider what actions may need to take place to strengthen the capacity of the community to support migrants’ successful resettlements.
- Marlborough Newcomers’ Network which offers newcomers to Marlborough (both national and international) social events that promote social connectivity and decrease social isolation.